Saturday, January 10, 2004

Another link via EO...

EO = Evangelical Outpost. Wow Joe, you certainly keep busy! I'm wondering... are you a professional blogger? Where do you get the time to do this, buddy? Joe links us to Collected Miscellany. It's a good read. There is one post in particular... a review of The Probability of God by Stephan D. Unwin. I especially like the following, "Unwin uses a formula to explain: Belief in God = the probability of God + Faith in God. He asserts that a proper balance is necessary for faith to have meaning. If faith simply picks up the tab for whatever reason can’t cover then the more you know the less faith you have. This would put reason at odds with faith and vice versa. Unwin believes that humans use both the cold logic of probability and the more existential trust to combine in a belief in God. In this way, belief in God’s existence is rational even though God can’t be proven by mathematical formula and yet faith is still an integral part of that belief." Interesting. Let's combine that thought with a reading of Psalm 13. How long, Lord, will you continue to ignore me? How long will you pay no attention to me? How long must I worry, and suffer in broad daylight? How long will my enemy gloat over me? Look at me! Answer me, O Lord my God! Revive me, or else I will die! Then my enemy will say, “I have defeated him!” Then my foes will rejoice because I am upended. But I trust in your faithfulness. May I rejoice because of your deliverance! I will sing praises to the Lord when he vindicates me. (NET) King David is feeling lonely, isolated, and ignored... by Yaweh! Yet, despite his feelings, David trusts in his knowledge of Yaweh's faithfulness. Faith... AND Reason.

No comments: