Sunday, November 23, 2003

Two Prayers...

I Chronicles 4:9-10 Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez, saying, "I gave birth to him in pain." Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." And God granted his request. NIV Matthew 6:9-13 "This, then, is how you should pray: " `Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.' NIV Chronicles are... chronicles (hence, the title). The comment on Jabez is found in the middle of a geneaology and, from the context, appears to act as a sidenote. The passage from Matthew are the words of Jesus and are directed to his disciples in a teaching manner. From this quick look at the two, which prayer would you conclude to be an example of how Christians should pray?

No comments: